It’s the color of money and also one of the colors of mold.
It can completely ruin your day if you are talking about your green money and green mold in the same sentence.
Green mold removal can be very costly if done by a professional company. As a matter of fact, any color mold remediation can be expensive.
But does green mold need to be removed? Can it be cleaned? Is green mold dangerous for your health?
These are all questions that we will explore.
Scientifically, there’s no such thing as green mold.
Mold can be green in color, but it does not refer to just one particular species of mold.
Some reported species of mold that may appear as the color green are:
The only way to know for sure what particular species of mold you are dealing with would be to take a direct sample. This involves either a tape or swab sample and sending the sample to an accredited lab for analysis.
Green mold can grow in homes with water damaged building materials.
If you had a flood in your home where the water damage was not cleaned up in a short period of time, under the right conditions mold can start the grow. Once the mold starts to grow there’s a chance it can appear to be green.
You may also notice green spots on some of your clothes which is caused by condensation whether from water damage or from high relative humidity. You can usually put the clothes through the traditional laundry to clean the green mold in this situation.
Here is the thing about mold:
Mold itself can in most cases be harmless to humans. It is the mycotoxins that are produced by mold that can be harmful.
Mycotoxins are mold’s weapon of choice. It helps particular molds fight against other molds and bacteria.
Stachybotrys is often referred to as “black mold” can also be green. It happens to have basically the biggest arsenal of weapons because it
can produce mycotoxins like no other mold spore.
However, while Stachybotrys produces mycotoxins, Penicillium and Aspergillus have been reported as producing Neurotoxins which may also cause health problems in humans.
I am not saying that there is 100% chance that the green mold in your home is toxic.
Bottom line is this:
Green mold should be taken very seriously as if it is toxic.
Because green mold may be toxic, it is not recommended that you try and remove it by yourself.
The EPA recommends removing less than 10 square feet can be done by yourself.
Here is the problem with DIY Mold Removal:
You don’t always know how much mold you are going to find when you remove walls. Therefore by not following proper procedures, you can release mold spores into the air.
It is also recommended that you have a licensed mold professional look at a water damaged problem. You can start by having a mold assessment.
In order to prevent green mold and all other colors of mold in the home or place of business, you need to CONTROL MOISTURE!
Mold cannot thrive without moisture. Controlling moisture is more than just watching for any leaks...
You need to control the humidity within the home.
Here are two easy steps you can follow to prevent green mold:
Part of an air conditioning system’s job is to dehumidify. The American Society Of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning recommend keeping the AC set at 73-81 Degrees F during the summer months and 68-76 Degrees F in the Winter months.
Keeping your AC set at these temperatures can help keep the relative humidity low.The potential for mold to grow DRASTICALLY decreases if you keep the humidity under 60%
Walk around your home once every week or so. Check ceilings, in closets, behind toilets, pretty much anywhere that can cause leaks.
Early detection of a leak in a building is just lime early detection of a disease in your body, it can make repairs minimal and less complex.
While green mold can be at many different stages of the mold's life cycle, it should be taken as if it can do damage to your health. Call a mold professional if you feel you have a mold problem regardless of the color.